Hi all. If you think you might be able to help me get Amanda working with
a Sun server and tapechanger, please read on and let me know what you
think.

I inhereted a project to configure Amanda to back up a Sun E6500 with an
attached StorEdge 30-slot changer, which includes two Quantum DLT drives.
Until last Thursday, I had very little experience with Amanda, so bear
with me if I missed someting obvious.

Using the archives for this group, I have been unable to get around a
couple of roadblocks. I can use mtx successfully to work with the drive:

gorge# mtx -f /dev/changer inquiry
Product Type: Medium Changer
Vendor ID: 'ATL     '
Product ID: 'P1000    6220070'
Revision: '2.01'
Attached Changer: No

(mtx status lists the two drives and thirty slots, with labels and status
of tapes)

... but I can not get the amcheck or amtape programs to work correctly:

gorge# amcheck -s Test
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /public/amanda: 16282266 KB disk space available, that's
plenty
amcheck-server: could not get changer info: badly formed result from
changer: "/dev/rmt/1"

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.3b2)

gorge# amtape Test current
amtape: could not get changer info: badly formed result from changer:
"/dev/rmt/1"

Yet, mt can communicate with the drives ...

gorge# mt -f /dev/rmt/1 status
Quantum DLT7000 tape drive:
   sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense   residual= 0   retries= 0
   file no= 0   block no= 0

(same result for /dev/rmt/2)

... and the chg-zd-mtx script seems to work ...

gorge# ./chg-zd-mtx -info
2 30 1 1

Do you have any ideas as to why I am getting the "badly formed" errors
above? I feel like I'm close to getting this system up and running, but I
keep banging my head on different issues, and this is the latest one.

I have included relevant portions of the configs below.

Thanks very much in advance,

Eric

--------
amanda.conf:

runtapes 1
tpchanger "/usr/cbel/opt/amanda-2.4.3b2/etc/amanda/Test/chg-zd-mtx"
tapedev "/dev/rmt/1"
changerfile "/usr/cbel/opt/amanda-2.4.3b2/etc/amanda/Test/changer"
changerdev "/dev/changer"

--------
changer:

# this is the changer file