On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 at 10:11am, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote

> I've got an AIT-2 tape drive, which supposedly will hold 50-100GB.
> the tapetype that I found, seems to say that it's 43GB:
>
> define tapetype AIT2 {
> comment "AIT-2 with 230m tapes"
> length 43778 mbytes
> filemark 3120 kbytes
> speed 5371 kps
> }

That was on somebody's particular hardware.  You may want to run tapetype
yourself, or just put "length 50000 mbytes" and see if you hit EOT.

> but what happens when the data is compressible? I'm doing little/no
> compression on the client side for various reasons; and so amanda thinks
> it'll run out of space on the tape. However, the tape drive's hardware
> compression should compress the data down to at least some extent; and we
> think it should all fit. (there's enough text files & the like, which should
> compress really well).

> will I have to enable compression on the clients, so amanda will believe
> there's enough space? or is there a way to make amanda understand the degree
> of hardware compression that this tape drive can do?

First thing's first -- use one or the other (software *or* hardware).
Enabling both will lead to data which actually expands on tape.  Second,
if you you are using hardware compression, then you must basically lie to
amanda about your tape size.  Tell amanda that your tapes are 75GB (a
reasonable estimate, depending upon your type of data), and see if you hit
EOT.  Tweak length as appropriate.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering