At 15:58 25-02-2002 -0500, Jan Boshoff wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I just had a thought and would like to probe the great minds of this
>list.  Would anyone do a disaster recovery type of restore of a Winbox
>that was backed up using smbclient?    I'm currently backing up the
>complete winbox, but it occured to me that I don't know how I would
>restore if something happened to the Winbox that we needed to restore
>the complete drive.  I mean, you need to have Win installed for
>smbclient to talk to it accross the network.
I have thought about but not yet implemented anything so be advised: This
is thought-stuff ;)

Use a regular win98 (or perhaps toms rtbt) bootfloppy to partition and
format filesystem (not NTFS - but you could convert to NTFS later). Use
toms RTBT http://www.toms.net/rb/ to boot a micro linux and mount the
filesystem with network support to retrive the image from the server. Toms
RTBT has a small tar and gzip that could extract the image. Be sure to have
the boot sector backuped up using dd (also on toms RTBT).

As I said, not tested yet but I think it should work.

If you test something like this please post your findings.

best,
Kasper