On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 at 10:26am, Stott, Trevor wrote

> One of my servers suffered a failure yesterday and out of that I had to move
> some disks around but now amanda is going to think they're new disks.  For
> example the old disk was /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/Compuset and it's now
> /dev/vx/dsk/sys_dg/Compuset.  Basically changed from the rootdg to the
> sys_dg which shouldn't be a big deal but now amanda thinks they're new disks
> and will try to do 0 level dumps at the same time on all of them.
>
> Any Ideas?

A few.

1) Just let it happen.  Amanda will do as many level 0s at a time as it
can fit, and will get the rest over the next few nights.  Pro: Little
effort on your part.  Cons: Missed backups for a few nights, disparate
histories of the "two" filesystems.

2) Port the old history (of rootdg) to sys_dg, i.e. change the name
by which amanda knows these filesystems.  This isn't as easy as it seems
(although I've done it once, going from device names to mount points).
Quoting John Jackson (from last May):

\begin{quote}
Here's what you need to do:

  * cd to your curinfo directory, then into the host directory.
    Rename the disk directory to the new name, converting all '/'
    characters to '_'.  For instance, "/usr/local" would become
    "_usr_local".

  * Do the same thing in the index directory, if you have that
    enabled.

  * Now the icky part.  Hand edit (sorry) all the log.YYYYMMDD.NN
    files and change the disk name to the mount point name.

  * And, of course, change the disklist.  And, also of course, run
    amcheck (the -c and -l options are sufficient) to make sure everything
    is happy.
\end{quote}

3) This might be a good time to use option 2, but convert to using mount
points in the disklist.  This will avoid this problem next time the
physical device changes out from under a disklist entry.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering