On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 at 6:16pm, Julien Boret wrote

> I want to back up my data on the holding disk only. Every time I put a tape
> in the tape drive, Amanda will first try to back up the data on the tape and
> will only back up the data on the holding disk if there is no tape in the
> drive or if there is a problem with the tape.
> I would like to know if there is an option I can specify in the amanda.conf
> file that would tell Amanda to always back up my data on the holding disk
> without looking first if there is a tape in the tape drive.

If you *never* want that config to go to tape, you have two options.  With
2.4.2p2, just define your tapedev in amanda.conf to be /dev/no/such/device
or some such thing.  Amanda won't find the device, will go into "degraded
mode", and will put everything on the holding disk.

With 2.4.3bN (note the b for beta), you can use files on disk as if they
were tapes.  Details on this are in the mailing list archives and in
amanda(8) distributed with those versions.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering