No -- this is the group that the files/amanda user belong to.  The idea is that
disk devices (and files such as /etc/dumpdates) are owned by root, but the group
"disk" (on my linux box), or "operator" (on my freebsd one), or "sys" (I think,
on the solaris machines) has read and write access.  This means that the amanda
user, who is a member of the group that you specified, can access the devices
through the group membership, rather than forcing the devices to be owned by
Amanda...

HTH,
Ricky