On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 at 4:59pm, Toralf Lund wrote

> On 22/04 2002 15:08 Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> > ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/tar

> So it is (and I quote) "unstable, incomplete, or otherwise unsuited for
> official
> publication."
>
> Seems like Red Hat and others have not "respected the good judgement of
> maintainers", though, and ineed included it in an official distribution.
>
> Comments, anyone?

You'll have to ask the tar maintainer(s) why there hasn't been an official
release since (as you noted) 1999, especially given that there are obvious
bugs fixed in the development releases.  I would guess *that* is why just
about every distro out there includes these "alpha" releases.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering