> Thanks for your responses, Jon and Paul,
>
> I don't think going to 'runtapes 2' in amanda.conf is going
> to fix the "lev
> out of range" error, since that part happens long after my
> error.  The email
> message starts out with
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   planner: FATAL error [planner askfor: lev out of range -1..10: 10]
>   beowulf    /usr/local RESULTS MISSING
>   beowulf    /var/mail RESULTS MISSING
>
> and there's nothing in /tmp/amanda/dump/20020419/ and the
> like.  The planner
> fails, so nothing is ever gtar'd, so there's nothing to write
> to tape(s).
>
> Any ideas on how to clear the "lev out of range" error?  Then
> I'll tackle
> the other errors stemming from having way to much data to
> backup compared to
> my tapesize.

Bart,

increasing the number of tapes should address this problem, because the
planner is trying to figure out what level to run for each backup, and for
unknown reasons is bouncing that backup down to a lower level than dump can
handle. (Or one part of planner understands that 10 is the limit and another
thinks that 9 is the limit.)

Additional tape space will allow planner to go with a higher level for that
(and other) backups.

Paul