On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:02:54PM +0100, Niall O Broin wrote:
> I asked about this the other day and it transpired that I didn't have record
> yes in my dumptype, so that explained that, or so I thought. However, I now
> do have record yes in my global dumptype but still level 1 dumps are of the
> full filesystems.

Correct.  Last night, all your filesystems thought they'd never had a
level 0 dump (since none had been recorded), so level 1 included
everything.  As each filesystem does (and records) a level 0 dump, it
will start doing incremental level 1s.  After a full dumpcycle, things
should be behaving as you expect.

> Another thought just occured to me - as I wasn't recording, why did amanda
> ever do level 1 backups ?

Because it wasn't time for a level 0.  Full (lvl 0) vs. incrmental (lvl.
1/2) is controlled by the dumpcycle and ensuring that level 0s are done
often enough to always have one within the last dumpcycle.  If a lvl 0
isn't needed, a lvl 1 or 2 will be done instead regardless of how big
the dumps are estimated at.