--On Tuesday, April 30, 2002 16:49:26 +0200 Toralf Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 26/04 2002 16:47 Frank Smith wrote:
>> --On Friday, April 26, 2002 12:42:31 +0200 Toralf Lund
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone used Amanda with the Qualstar 4222 tape library? We have a
>>> customer that want to use one for backup, and we probably have to help
>>> with the setup...
>>
>> We use a Qualstar 4480 (a bigger model in the same family) and it works
>> fine
>> with Amanda.
> What does your tape changer config look like?

I'm using the chg-qs-mtx script which Mark Holm modified from
the chg-mtx script and posted to the list (search for Qualstar TLS 4212
in the archives and you'll find it, also get the fix in the followup).
Relevant configurations are included below, modify to suit

Before you get too involved in the changer script, make sure you can
move tapes around using mtx from the command line, otherwise you will
get very frustrated.

> Also, I don't really know *anything* about tape libraries, but I need
> to provide some useful information to a customer who has one, but
> don't know what to do with it, so any kind of input is welcome.
>
> System is a small server running Red Hat Linux 7.2.

Libraries just let you further automate your backups, they don't
do anything that you couldn't do sitting in front of a tape drive
with a pile of tapes.  Since there generally isn't someone next
to the drive at all times, having a library lets you automate
multi-tape backups and run backups nights, weekends, and holidays.
They also keep your tapes from getting banged around so much.

Good luck,
Frank

============in amanda.conf=========================================

tpchanger "chg-qs-mtx"  # tape-changer glue script
tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
changerdev "/dev/sg0"   # the tape-changer device
changerfile "/usr/local/libexec/chg-qs-mtx.conf"

============/usr/local/libexec/chg-qs-mtx.conf=====================
# Number of the tape drive in changer as seen by MTX
chgtapedev 0

# Barcode reader ?
havereader 1

# First slot in Library to be used
firstslot 1

# Last slot in Library to be used
endslot 55

# Slot where the cleaning tape resides
cleanslot 80

# How often do I clean (accesses of tape drive)
cleancycle 1000

# Do we need to eject the tape: 1 - Yes, 0 - No
needeject 1

Frank Smith                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administrator                                     Voice: 512-374-4673
Hoover's Online                                             Fax: 512-374-4501