On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:54:15AM -0400, Chris Noon wrote:
> I was reading through my amanda.conf and I saw this line:
>

> #You need a separate infofile and
> # logdir for each configuration, so create subdirectories for each conf
> and
> # put the files there.  Specify the locations below.
>
> Well, I don't have separate infofiles and logdirs for each config, and
> never have... Everything seems to be working fine, as I've done many
> restores from each config.  So could someone shed some light on the
> above statement.... Thanks in advance.

My daily backup is its own config.

However, for several of my archive configs I do something similar.
They share a common "logdir" which includes curinfo, index, tapelist,
and changer files.  Each config then has its own directory including
only amanda.conf and disklist.  In fact, the amanda.conf files are
so similar they could be merged and simply be links to a single conf.

I too have encounted no problems, but would be interested in a definitive
answer to what potential problems exist.  My guess, and it is strictly
a guess, is that the problems are minimal or non-existent if there are
no duplicate disklist entries among the configs.

In my case, I'm archiving the tapes, setting them aside for "permanent"
keeping.  They even have the same tape label pattern.  I could see a
problem if I were reusing the tapes in a limited tapecycle.

A more definitive rather than emperical answer will be appreciated.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 JG Computing