On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 04:08:26PM -0700, Brandon Moro wrote:
> Hello again all,
>
> Now that I have amanda running in a somewhat reliable manner, its time to
> make her a part of the disaster revovery plan.  I run about 8 tapes a week
> and this config:
>
> dumpcycle 1 week
> runspercycle 5 days
> tapecycle 10 tapes
>
> So, I need to get my tapes offsite for 6 weeks at a time.  This seems simple
> enough to do by increasing the number of tapes in my tapecycle and
> amlabeling some new tapes.
>
> Here's where the problem is (unless you see one above that I have
> overlooked).  I send the tapes from the last week of every month offsite for
> 1 year.  Can I arrange the tapecycle in such a way that I can get amanda to
> recognize a tape as being eligible to overwrite even though it is not in
> chronological order (that is, tape 8 may still be offsite for a year, but
> tape 24 has come back from a 6 week offsite cycle and I want to use it
> again)?  What should I expect to happen when I try this method?  Will I have
> to set up a second config (ex: DailySet2) and run this second config with
> its own set of tapes and run it during the last week of every month?

Related questions for those in the know.

- What happens if I keep introducing "new" tapes beyond the quantity
  specified by tapecycle?  I would expect amanda will happily use the
  additional tapes.

- Once I have lots of tapes beyond tapecycle, will amanda then accept
  any "out of order" tape as long as it is has not been used in tapecycle
  number of tapes?  I'm hoping yes.  Or must they continue to be used in
  the same order they were initially used?

If the answers are those I "expect and hope", then you might try a scheme
like this.  Assuming 8 tapes per dumpcycle.  13 sets in yearly storage
(13 x 4 wks = 52 wks, not 12 months),  1 set in use, 1 most recent held
locally, and 6 sets in 8 wk storage (I up'ed it to account for yearly
storage).  That is 21 total sets of tapes, or 168.  But only 8 sets are
really cycling.  So set the tapecycle to 64.  (maybe lower)

For three out of every 4 weeks, take one set to and retreive one set from
8 week storage.  The retreived tapes will fall naturally within the 64
tape tapecycle.  One of every 4 weeks, take one set to and retreive one
set from yearly storage.  They will certainly be beyond the most recent
64 and will "I hope" be accepted.

Now, what happens to the index during all this I haven't a clue.

   Do people do all these weird things with commercial backup software?

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 JG Computing