On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 11:32:09AM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 03:23:06PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm looking for a way to force a backup to degraded mode, to holding disk
> > with 2.4.3b3. Reading the docs I didn't find anything obvious yet.
> >
> > Here's what I'm trying to do: I have a 14 slots DLT changer. With a
> > runspercycle of 7, I have plenty of space left on tapes, so I'd like
> > to put 2 days of backup on a tape. I'm trying to get amanda do a
> > degraded backup to holding disk (incrementals only), which should be quite
> > small (less than 5G), one day out of two. The next day this backup would
> > be flushed to tape before the scheduled backups.
> > Of course I'd like to have all this under the same config, so that peoples
> > running amrecover don't have to know if it was a full or degraded backup.
> >
> > The problem is that I don't know how to make it do a degraded dump when
> > there is a valid tape available. Any idea ?
>
> I found a way of doing it: setup a second configuration with a dummy
> tape device (I used /dev/null) with holding disk, infofile, logdir and indexdir
> pointing to the same place as the config with tape changer.
> This seems to work (I tried amrecover from both tape and holding disk).

That's BAD, you can't use the same logdir for two configurations, logfile
will get erased. You will get the same problem with indexdir if you have
a disk in both config.

Why not use one config and edit your amanda.conf everyday, that could
be easily done by cron.

Don't use /dev/null, your backup can go to it, use /dev/nosuchdevice instead.

> A minor annoyance is that both amcheck and amdump complain about the invalid
> tape, amd amdump report claims that something went bad when it's what I wanted.
> Wish to amanda hackers: would be nice if there was a config option to
> make amanda work without tape at all, without complains :)

Wish you will become an amanda hackers :)

Jean-Louis
--
Jean-Louis Martineau             email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Departement IRO, Universite de Montreal