Hi,
one last resort would be using a big magnet on the tape and
after that relabeling it. But be aware this erases every single
bit ever written to the tape.
one other thing i would try before is to look at the drive itself
and check if there is a hardware switch to turn off compression.
Many drives will read happily compressed tapes when compression
is disabled, but they will use no compression anymore for writing.
At least my STD224000N and the other drives from different vendors
i have behave this way....
Christoph