-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Lee Fellows
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 6:04 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Failed backups

Hi,

  Since setting amanda up, I have constantly run into failed backups
with timeouts reported.  If I run amdump on the configuration, it works
fine, but if I let the cron job call it during the night, it fails.

  We have a local network with a vpn to our remote servers.  The tape
server is only tasked with backing up some files on its hard drive and
a share from an NT box.  Both machines are local.  The total size of
the backups being requested are less than 5 Gig. and the tape capacity
is 40 Gig.  The NT box is also the dns server of first resort.

  Apparently, if/when the vpn goes down, sendsize gets lost and times
out in reporting to amandad (if I understand correctly).  If the vpn is
up, sendsize has no difficulty whatsoever.  I found this be seeing
amandad and sendsize still running on the tape server at 7:30 AM when
the cron job started at 1:00 AM.  When I discovered that the vpn was
down and restarted it, amandad and sendsize happily finished, reporting
the timeout error.  Unfortunately, the vpn goes down most nights,
although not by design.

  Any ideas why sendsize would (mis)behave in this manner?
  Any ideas what I can do to work around this?

Thank you.

  Lee