On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 11:54:23PM -0700, shanna wrote:
> running amanda 2.4.2p2 w/ ufsdump (solaris) using HW compression (& no
> SW compression) on  tape drive.

Consider switching to SW compression.  It can be more efficient than
HW compression and, more importantly, you don't have to worry about a
dump failing because it didn't compress well enough to fit on the tape,
since amanda knows how well it actually did compress instead of relying
on an estimate of 'average' compression ratios.

> I would like to have amanda write more full backups to tape.. I.E.
> pretty much if possible do only level 0's and 1's

> 2) decrease the dumpcycle (currently at 1 week, w. runspercycle at 5,
> tapecycle 16 tapes)
> to something like 4 days?? with 3 runs per cycle?

Decrease the dumpcycle.  Amanda optimizes dumps to equalize tape usage,
not to maximize it.