On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 02:23:56AM +0200, Marcus Schopen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to run a daily backup with a dumpcycle of three weeks. Amanda is started
>from Monday to Saturday (6 days a week). What tapecycle value do I have to use:
>
>   dumpcycle    3 weeks
>   runtapes     1
>   runspercycle 18
>   tapecycle    24 tapes ???
>
> A second weekly backup should run every Sunday with a dumcycle of 2 month. Would
>this be the correct configuration:
>
>   dumpcycle    2 month
>   runtapes     1
>   runspercycle 8
>   tapecycle    12 tapes

dumpcycle:   maximum number of days or weeks between full, aka level 0, backups.
                You really want 3 weeks between full backups?

runspercycle: number of amdump runs in one dumpcycle
                You seem to have this conceptually correct

tapecycle:   number of tapes you want to cycle.  Make it larger than one dumpcycle.
             maybe even 2x, 3x, or 4x.

>From your "weekly backup" I suspect like so many before, you are trying to
fit amanda's nice round model into the square old-style scheme; full backups
one specific day a week, incrementals every other day.

If I'm correct and you choose to continue with your geometric squeeze,
I think you want a dumpcycle of 1 week and runspercycle of 1 for your
second configuration.

jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 JG Computing