Hello,

I have just acquirred a Quantum/ATL L500 library.  -yay- I believe I
have it functioning correctly, but there sure appears to be some
arcane information regarding the changerfile configuration for chg-scsi.

Here are my thougts/questions:

1) why would I want to use "scsitapedev" instead of "dev" in my
changer config file?

2) What is the purpose of the "sleep" variable?  Is it the time amanda
will wait from when the changer returns to when the tape can be used?

        I set mine to 140 seconds as the documentation for my tape drive
        shows an average of 133 seconds to load a blank tape.

3) it is not clear if I can tell amanda to tell the tape changer a
barcode value to load instead of searching the slots...

Now here are the specifics

My amanda server is a dual pIII redhat 7.0 linux box, running
amanda-2.4.3b3.  this machine has the following tape hardware attached:
        /dev/nst0: sony dds3 4mm drive only (currently used to do backups)
        /dev/nst1: quantum/atl dlt8000 (tape on library)
        /dev/sg1:  Tape changer mechanism.

#dev=
scsitapedev=/dev/nst1
        amcheck-server: slot n: tape_rdlabel: tape open: 0: "no
        such file or directory"

        my chg-scsi file showed: "warning open of 0: failed"

#dev=
scsitapedev=/dev/sg0
        I can't recall, but it didn't work

dev=/dev/nst1
#scsitapedev=
        This is where I got the thing working correctly.

perhaps /dev/sg0 would have worked, if I had unloaded kernel module
"st", and reloaded "sg".  I didn't want to do that though since I am
running backups on /dev/nst0.

What do you all think?  Should I also post this to amanda-developers?

--jason

--

Jason Brooks ~ (503) 641-3440 x1861