I haven't been paying attention to this whole thread, but thought I'd
throw my two cents in.

I was never able to get amanda to work through a firewall using NAT.
The way NAT works in the Elron Commander firewall, and most other ones,
I think, is by arbitrarily reassigning port numbers to keep track of
which connection on the inside corresponds to which communication on the
outside.

Example:
Amanda on host tapehost talks to host X from port 932/UDP (I'm making
this up from my setup). Host X responds correctly, because it was
addressed from the proper privileged (<1024) port.
Now, amanda on host tapehost wants to talk to host X from port 932/UDP,
but the request gets sent to the firewall. The firewall assigns a random
port, in the unprivileged range (>1024), let's say 10080. It records in
it's lookup table that packets from tapehost are assigned to port 10800.
In most applications, this would be fine, as the recipient would send
the packets back to the firewall at port 10080, and the firewall would
match port 10080 with tapehost and send the packet in to it. However,
with amanda, when host X gets the packet from port 10080, it rejects it
with an error message like "Unprivileged port"

To diagnosis this, I used a combination of netcat and tcpdump, on both
the sender and recipient.

I was never able to overcome this, because the Elron firewall software
can't not translate the port, as far as I and our Information Services
group could tell.

Since the original poster didn't mention this error message at all,
this explanation may not relate to his problem.

Sorry if this doesn't apply. If it does, and you have further
questions, please write.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139