On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:37:05PM +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a complete amanda generated backup consisting of eight daily1-8
> tapes (SLR100).
> Now I need to look into these tapes. How do I do that?
> Alternatively I could also restore the complete set, I have enough
> space.
> I have no idea how to use amanda, all quick attempts ended up in missing
> log files.
> I only have the tapes, nothing else.
>
> Any help appreciated (I won't dive deep into amanda, I just want to
> restore the data)

Amanda doesn't have to be present to use the tapes.
Each dump (generally a file system) is saved on the tape as a separate file.
There is also an administrative file placed at the start of the tape.

At the start of each dump file on the tape there is also a 32KB header
that says what was dumped and how to recover it.  Basically it follows
the scheme

  1. move the tape to the beginning of the dump file

        mt <device options> rewind
        mt <device options> fsf <some file number>

  2. use dd to extract the 32KB header

                dd if=<tape device> of=<any file name> bs=32k count=1

        reading the header will tell you what file system is in the dump
        file and what commands can be used to extract it.

Repeat step 1 and modify step 2 according to the header

Besure you use a "no rewinding" device in your mt and dd commands.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 JG Computing