--On Wednesday, July 17, 2002 15:20:53 -0400 C White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i just wanted to make sure i had my amanda configured properly
>
> i want it to run a backup every weeknight, mon-fri
> i only want it to do one full backup every week, with incrementals the rest of the
>time
> and i have six tapes in the 5 for backups and a 6th one for "flushes"
>
> here is my configuration:
>
> dumpcycle 5 days
> runspercycle 1
> tapecycle 6 tapes

You probably want:
dumpcycle 7 days    (a full at least once a week)
runspercycle 5      (you're running Amanda 5 times during that time period)
tapecycle   12      (6 would technically work, but you run the risk of overwriting
                     your last full dump if you have problems.  2 x runspercycle +
                     a couple of spares is a much safer number.  If you have trouble
                     restoring from a tape,  having another backup from two weeks
                     ago is much better than no backup at all)

Good luck,
Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administrator                                     Voice: 512-374-4673