Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> *snip*
>
>>Has anyone seen anything like this before?  By the way, this is running
>>on linux 2.2.13.
>
> Wow.  Any reason for such an old kernel?

Completely off topic, but...
I do run such an old kernel on a machine.  Reason: why shut it down
when it works fine?

I've never shut it down since the last boot more than two years ago now.
uptime shows 321 days, but that's because around 497 days uptime the
counter wrapped (*); the real uptime is 818 days.
I had to reboot the machine beginning July 2000 because I moved it
to another room.

The machine served / is serving a lot of duties:  it was our main
mail system for some months, then our secondary MX server for over
a year; it's also our primary DHCP server; it's one of our secondary
DNS servers; and it runs a few internal websites with apache, like our
bugzilla database with mysql backend.
I did install/upgrade software, but never upgraded the kernel, so I
never had to reboot it.  The problem with machines with such an uptime
is that the longer you have it, the harder you try to avoid reboots :-)

Amanda client software works fine on that machine too.

(*) that bug is solved in recent kernels: they used a 64 bit value
     instead of a 32 bit value for the clock ticks.  They are measured
     in 1/100th of a second and 2^32 / (86400*100) = 497 days.

--
Paul Bijnens, Xplanation                           Tel  +32 16 40.51.40
Interleuvenlaan 15 H, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM       Fax  +32 16 40.49.61