Well, the other thing I didn't think about is it could
be a timeout since I am not at the device itself most
of the time.  I say this because I noticed
occasionally the drive will clean itself without a
request (this is because of the 225m autocleaning
tapes).  It could be if you load a tape and it decides
to do a clean, it's enough to cause tar or whatever
program to choke for a sec.

Jerry

--- Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 October 2002 16:53, Jerry wrote:
> >I noticed my Exabyte EZ17 Autoloader needs an mt -f
> >/dev/rmt/0 retension every now and then to make it
> >happy or it gets i/o errors.  They are relatively
> new
> >tapes and it seems if I haven't picked up one of
> the
> >tapes with the robot in a week or so, and nothing
> has
> >been done with it.... it fails unless I retension
> it.
>
> I wonder if this is heat related, as in how hot is
> the drive and
> robot area when its just sitting there for a week.
> Tapes are funny
> critters and I've seen a 10 degrees F cooloff make a
> lot of
> difference.
>
> >Any ideas?

> >Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos & More
> >http://faith.yahoo.com
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
> Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
> 99.17% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV
hillbilly