Jon LaBadie wrote:

One of the concerns I have about disk-only based backup schemes is the
total loss of data. If you encounter a 2-disk failure you lose not only
your most recent, but all your backups. If a tape drive fails the data
can be read on another drive. If a single tape goes bad, that is the
only set of backups lost.

If you're using multiple removable hard drives as tapes, I think that would mitigate the risk somewhat vs. disks that are "online" all the time, although spin-up seems to be THE most crucial moment in the life of any disk drive. I think disks still aren't as reliable as tapes in terms of failure rates, but would expect a removable hard drive solution to fall somewhere between full-time disk drives and tapes.

--jonathan