On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:59:32PM -0500, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> what are some good options for long term archival storage?

There's only one: redundancy!

I don't know the answer to the question you're actually asking.
All the media I know of are either not great under typical,
less-than-ideal conditions (magnetic) or too new for there to be
much real-world data (optical) -- not that I've made much of a
study of it recently, I admit.

But whatever technology(ies?) you choose, making multiple copies
is excellent insurance.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|  |  /
The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent; that's why so
many cults and myths of the serpent exist, because it's hard to
represent the return of the sun by the coiling of a hippopotamus.
        - Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"