On Wednesday 09 February 2005 18:31, Jingchun Chen wrote: >Thanks to all. I think both Frank and Joshua are pointing to the > right direction. I am using GNU-tar, but root on NFS client doesn't > have root privilege on exported partition. Since this is kind a > security measure, I probably will not change this. So I am going to > set up a backup client on the NFS file server. > >Though this pose another issue. Amanda manual specificly mentioned > that tar-1.13.9x may have problem on creating index list. > Unfortunately the NFS server has a tar-1.13.93 on it. Actually this > is one of the reasons I chose the host as the clinet, -- the amanda > host machine has a tar-1.13.25, which is recommended by amanda team > :). Just wondering if anyone did encounter this problem before. But > anyway, I am going to get this resolved and use 1.13.25 for this > task. > >Cheers, >Jingchun
The last tar release 1.15-1, also works, I've been using it for about a month. >On Wednesday 09 February 2005 15:52, Frank Smith wrote: >> --On Wednesday, February 09, 2005 15:16:15 -0500 Jingchun Chen > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >> > Hi, >> > >> > Greetings to everyone! I am new to Amanda, and new to this >> > mailing list. >> > >> > I got a planner failure and empty schedule. Amcheck seems to >> > pass ok (except the two non-existing log dirs which I assume >> > shouldn't cause problem). The tape server and backup client are >> > the same machine, and the two disks to be backed up are NFS >> > exported from another machine. We are running Debian, kernel >> > 2.4.28 on Amanda server (hostname coil) and kernel 2.6 on the >> > NFS server. >> > >> > Any clue? Thanks. >> >> Two possibilities I can think of: >> First, are you trying to use dump on the NFS mount? If so, >> you need to use tar. >> Second, if you are using tar, is the NFS mount on the remote >> host exported with the no_root_squash option (on Linux, it >> has other names on other OSs, root= on Solaris and NetApps) >> so that root on the NFS client has root access to the files. >> >> Frank -- Cheers, Gene "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author) 99.33% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly Yahoo.com attorneys please note, additions to this message by Gene Heskett are: Copyright 2005 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.
