Stefan Zörner wrote:
Hi,

we are about to build up a backup system onto a network drive. We do not need long term full backup, we just want to be able to access data maximal a month old. We thought of doing one full backup and then just doing cumulative backups. We are planning on using it over a longer period and since after a year the data can differ a lot from the original full backup each cumulative backup can get quite large. A possibility of course is to do a full backup now and then.

My question is, that instead of working with cumulative backup I want to use incremental ones. Now normally at the end of a cycle the oldest incremental backup is overwritten and the whole backup becomes worthless. Is there a method were the oldest increments is included into the full backup itself after a cycle has been reached?
Example:
- one full backup
- 10 increments
before starting increment 11. Renew full backup by including oldest incremental backup.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

You should take a look at this:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/FAQ:How_are_backup_levels_defined_and_how_does_Amanda_use_them%3F

before launching off into backup strategy ideas based on prior knowledge from other kinds of backup software. After you have read through that a couple of times, you might have different questions.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator