We are also running Solaris 10 x86 zfs. I am wondering if you are seeing the
same problem.

>From what I read the zfs_snapshot api call amgtar.

There is a bug in gtar in how it handles .zfs

1) Search the zmanda archive for "runtar error that I do not understand"

2) Look at the bug reported to gtar group
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2010-07/msg00035.html that Chapman
Flack reported.

If this is it I can tell you how I haved resolved the problem until gtar gets
patched.

Robert