On Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:34:54 am Dustin J. Mitchell did opine:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:20 PM, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > with taper_debug 9 I had a 174 meg taper log, which still didn't make
> > any sense as it was reporting about 6 lines for every 32k write, so I
> > dropped it to 2.  I grepped for the differences in the man tree but
> > didn't see anything about the verbosity diffs.
>
> So now it's writing to tape.  So the problem is solved.  Does it not
> write to tape with a lower debug level?
>
> Dustin

No, it ceases to write to the 'tape' after 3402, I think.  Yes, 3402
worked, 3411 failed.

See my previous reply where the 3 amgetconf lines were asked about.  I read
ChangeLogs, and this is the first I'd heard of those 3 new variables.  This
stuff belongs in the ChangeLog!  With a line saying new amanda.conf vars,
listing them comma separated.  That would have been trigger enough to go
read the man page.

dumps has been moved to a much larger playground, and 3427 installed just
to check my theory that zero detection is thwarted by a holding disk
smaller than the vtape.  Ergo no flush by taper.  Even when amflush is called
by hand.

Also, a separate squawk, starting at about svn3388 I think, the emailed
report is suddenly being spammed by a hundred lines or so of stuff about in-
accessible  sockets and such in /home/gene/tmp, which contains other stuff I
would rather were included in the backups.  But that's a different problem.

Sorry if I come across a bit grouchy, I've been taking antibiotics for a
strep throat the last few days.  And I'm about worn out trying to get this
place put back together for the winter after a 112 mph wind came through
the neighborhood on June 24th, demolishing or uprooting most of the trees.
We lost 3 of 4 40 year old pines, the roof, parts of the back porch and all
the privacy fencing.  Amazingly a 60 foot pin oak in the front yard stood.
The replacement fencing I built post hole by post hole and screw by screw,
and it can be seen at <http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/fence>
I'll be 76 in another few days, and folks keep telling me I should retire.
I keep trying to, but such as this gets in the way...  The bottom of my
fishing boat hasn't been wet since summer 2009.  And right now I am working
on its shed, which although tattered, didn't blow away in the wind as it
was below the house on the lee side.  Pix in the camera I'll put up when
I'm done with that.

I used to have a life, but its about used up I think.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)