I am finding that amcheckdump (3.2.0) gets sporadic failures with messages like

Reading volume AMB009L4 file 9
Validation errors:
Error writing to fd 9: Broken pipe
/bin/gzip exited with status 1

A similar problem was reported in
http://www.mail-archive.com/amanda-users@amanda.org/msg44288.html
but I'm not sure whether it is meant to be fixed in 3.2.0.

In my configuration tar is not involved, the backup files are in compressed dump format. So amcheckdump creates a pipe containing gzip and restore; presumably gzip terminates when it gets to the end of the real data and does not bother reading the zero padding at the end of the last block. Unlike with tar I don't know any way of forcing gzip to read till the bitter end.

My blocks are 512kB and they are read over a slowish iscsi connection so that possibly gives gzip plenty of time to process its data while the rest of the block is still being read.

I can live with the problem, but it is a bit irritating so any comments welcome.

Bob