On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 09:39:15AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> It is not enough to backup different DLEs on a single client from
> a single server, you the client will only communicate with a single
> server at any give time.

This sounds like the answer to a question I have.  Just checking:

So the result of this type of collision is that the client's
amandad appears to be off-line as far as a second Amanda server is
concerned?

We back up small pieces of data from our local research groups
(e.g. svn from research machines) but don't do the bulky stuff
(e.g. multi-TB datasets).  The labs are on their own for the big
stuff.

There's discussion about setting up a second Amanda server to
handle irregular (non-cron'ed) large (possibly multi-day) backups
for some of the researchers from machines that are also clients to
the primary Amanda server.  DLE's on the second server are presumed
to not over-lap the primary's DLEs.

I'm mostly interested in making sure that my customers understand
the ground rules.  I think that boils down to, "if your local
Amanda backup job runs into the regular backup schedule, then your
regular stuff won't be backed up until the run after your local job
completes."

Yes?  Am I missing anything?

TIA.

Bryan

--

Bryan Hodgson                       Lehigh University
bryan.hodg...@lehigh.edu            Packard Lab 019 room 115