Horacio,

I think Chris is on the mark. You are going to want snapshots
of your file system, which might be difficult to do  with a
remote setup -- because if you are worried about bring stuff
back on-line in 15 minutes you are going to need a second site,
hot and constantly updated.

Your going to need a transaction system, journaling, etc...

You are also going to need to look at the larger picture,
loss of electrical power, cooling, protection from flood
(burst water pipe, leaky ceiling, failed pipe in the AC unit).

What your being asked to do is a much larger problem then backups.

Just my 2-cents.

Brian

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 01:52:05PM -0400, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

> On 8/22/11 11:22 AM, Horacio Sanson wrote:
> >I use amanda to backup my clients data with defaults  tapecycle 10 and
> >dumpcycle 7 and cronjob running amdump every night.
> >
> >Now I have a client that requires 15min recovery guarantee... that is
> >in event of disaster I must be able to recover all data to a stable
> >state loosing at most 15 minutes of data. For this I need amanda to
> >make backups every 15 minutes.
> >
> >My guess from reading the documentation is that I need to set the
> >runspercycle to 675 (= 60min x 24 hours x 7 dumpcycle / 15 min
> >intervals) and run amdump in a cron every 15 min. Has someone done
> >something like this? Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Now assuming my guess is correct how would amanda handle a full dump.
> >I understand amanda will perform a full backup at least once every
> >dumpcycle but my clients data is larger than 200GB and a full backup
> >can take a few hours. What  happens if a new amdump run (15 min later)
> >starts before the full backup has finished? would this create
> >corrupted backups?
>
> That's nuts.
>
> What you need is RAID6 or ZFS Raidz2 or better and either LVM or ZFS
> snapshots every 10 minutes or so.
>
> I don't think you can design a backup system to solve a problem that needs
> to be solved at the level of system design and redundancy. In other words,
> you need servers and storage with sufficient redundancy that they won't be
> lost. Perhaps a cluster or mirrored systems with failover. Then you need
> backups in case some data is lost or corrupted due to human error. If the
> building burns down, then, in order to have a 15 minute guarantee, you have
> to have constant mirroring with an outside redundant system.
>
> I think if you tried to contract with IBM for backups with a 15 minute
> guarantee, they would charge you an arm and a leg, or they would push back
> and make you accept something much less than a 15 minute guarantee. They
> would probably also throw a bunch of legal caveats into the contract. Sort
> of like reading the insurance policy on your home and discovering the
> things you are not covered for (various sorts of natural disasters and/or
> war, etc.)
>

> --
> ---------------
>
> Chris Hoogendyk
>
> -
>    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
>   c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
>  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center
> ~~~~~~~~~~ - University of Massachusetts, Amherst
>
> <hoogen...@bio.umass.edu>
>
> ---------------
>
> Erd?s 4

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.