Robert,

We have several machines that are on multiple networks.

for instance, amanda server "curie" received a second functional
interface at one point, this is the DNS information but its really
just one multi-homed box.

Name:   curie.wadsworth.org
Address: 10.50.156.66

Name:   curieb.wadsworth.org
Address: 199.184.30.20

This of course was performed by the guy managing curie and
caused 1/2 my amanda clients to fail, so .amandahosts was
modified to reflect connection from either curie or curieb,
depending on which network it sat on.

At some point, months later, I started to notice that some amanda
clients failed in a rather random manor, some some nights but not
others and I realized that my network was not being routed consistently,
since we created multiple paths between the single homed clients and
the mutli-homed server.

I worked with my network manager and was not able to really resolve
the issue and resorted to adding BOTH "curie" and "curieb" to the
.amandahosts files on the clients.

This effectively resolved the issue for us. We have not seen any
additional issue nor have we had time to pursue the issue further.

I realize this is a work-around and not an answer or solution,
but its the best I can currently offer.

                                                good luck,

                                                Brian

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:47:15AM -0400, McGraw, Robert P wrote:
> The last couple days we have been getting the following errors (see below).
> After some searching on the errors someone mentioned about doing am amcheck
> on these hosts. Our Backups were working fine until a few days ago but I
> decided to run amcheck on the host that had the errors just to be sure. Sure
> enough the amcheck failed on these hosts.
>
> One strange sequence of events was on machine hardy I ran amcheck  and it
> failed. A few minutes later when I ran it again it passed, and a few minutes
> later it failed again. Hummmm
>
> These hosts all run the same version of RedHat, and they are multi-homed;
> same host name but they have different subnet/interfaces. I started wondering
> if the multi-home could be causing the problem.
>
> So I modified my disk list to use the IP address of the interfaces such as
> the following:
>
> hardy        /                   remote-dump-bsd  -1  enet100
> 100.210.30.54        /                   remote-dump-bsd  -1  enet100
> 100.210.40.22        /                   remote-dump-bsd  -1  enet100
>
> I ran amcheck on each of the hostnames.
>
> [99][amandabacku@hertz]:~/daily% amcheck -c daily hardy
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: hardy: selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for ACK
> Client check: 1 host checked in 30.006 seconds.  1 problem found.
> (brought to you by Amanda 3.2.3)
>

>       [100][amandabacku@hertz]:~/daily% amcheck -c daily 100.210.30.54
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> Client check: 1 host checked in 0.104 seconds.  0 problems found.
> (brought to you by Amanda 3.2.3)
>

>       [101][amandabacku@hertz]:~/daily% amcheck -c daily 100.210.40.22
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: 100.210.40.22: selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for ACK
> Client check: 1 host checked in 30.006 seconds.  1 problem found.
> (brought to you by Amanda 3.2.3)
>
> The amanda client on hardy is from the RedHat distrubtion. Just use what was
> in the box.
>
> Not sure why all the sudden I am getting the amcheck error on these machines.
> Network wise nothing has been changed.
>
> This only shows that amcheck works, it does not show that the backup will
> work.
>
> Some options are to use the IP address in place of the name. Another is to
> make a CNAME for the subnets.
>
> Any comments or suggestions as to what might be going on or am I completely
> off base.
>
> Thanks
>
> Robert

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.