On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven
<ge...@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Albrecht Dreß <albrecht.dr...@arcor.de>
> wrote:
>> I use amanda 2.5.2p1 on a Ubuntu 8.04 server to back up several machines.
>> The backup of /one/ disk from /one/ machine, which worked flawlessly for
>> years, now regularly throws the message
>>
>> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>>   srv-erp3  /mnt1  lev 0  FAILED [disk /mnt1, all estimate timed out]
>>   planner: ERROR Request to srv-erp3 failed: timeout waiting for REP
>>
>> in the report, but the other disks are written properly:
>
> Did this ever got resolved? How?
>
> Since a few days, I'm getting the same error for one of my DLEs, which
> also worked
> flawlessly for years, and its contents haven't changed recently:
>
>  FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
>    machine /path lev 0  FAILED "Failed reading dump header."
>    machine /path lev 0  FAILED "Failed reading dump header."
>    machine /path lev 0  FAILED [too many dumper retry: "[request failed:
> timeout
> waiting for REP]"]

I discovered I had ca. 200 hanging backup processes, like:

backup    3004  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    Aug22   0:00
[amandad] <defunct>
backup    3034  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    Aug22   0:00
[sendbackup] <defunct>

and one like this:

backup   23748  0.0  0.0  40184   128 ?        Ss   Aug19   1:00
amandad -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped

After killing them, the next backup round completed succesfully...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- ge...@linux-m68k.org