Hi All,

I am having trouble backing up an older version of fedora (fc5) with amanda. My server (fc17) backs up several other clients, including other fc17 32-bit and 64-bit clients. I use a customized build of amanda to include specific port ranges, but for troubleshooting purposes I have turned both server and client firewalls off so I know that isn't the problem.

Here are the versions of amanda I am using with my working server and clients, as well as the nonworking client:

working SERVER fc17 (32-bit): amanda-server-3.3.0-7.fc17.i686
working fc17 CLIENT (32-bit): amanda-3.3.0-7.fc17.i686
working fc17 CLIENT (64-bit): amanda-3.3.0-7.fc17.i686

non-working fc5 CLIENT (64-bit): amanda-2.4.5p1-3.2.fc5.i686

Here are my config files where I suspect there may be a problem:

nonworking fc5 Client: /etc/xinetd.d/amanda
service amanda
{
        disable                 = no
        flags                   = IPv4
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = amandabackup
        group                   = disk
        groups                  = yes
        server                  = /usr/lib64/amanda/amandad
}

working fc17 Server: /etc/xinetd.d/amanda AND working fc17 Client: /etc/xinetd.d/amanda (they are the same)
service amanda
{
        disable                 = no
        flags                   = IPv4
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = amandabackup
        group                   = disk
        groups                  = yes
        server                  = /usr/sbin/amandad
        server_args             = -auth=bsdtcp amdump
}

Because when I run the amcheck (sudo -u amandabackup /sbin/amcheck DailySet1) I get this error on the server:

WARNING: fc5client.analogic.com: selfcheck request failed: tcpm_recv_token: invalid size: "Amanda 2.4 NAK HANDLE SEQ 0\nERROR expected \"Amanda\", got \"\"\n"
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.163 seconds.  1 problem found.

And this message in the client logs (/var/log/amanda/amandad.20130429103341.debug) :

amandad: time 0.005: got packet:
--------
--------
amandad: time 0.005: this is a bogus packet, nak'ing it
amandad: time 0.005: sending nack:
----
Amanda 2.4 NAK HANDLE  SEQ 0
ERROR expected "Amanda", got ""
----

I think it's a communication problem between the two versions of amanda, perhaps because my server uses bsdtcp? I'm not sure...these messages are kind of cryptic.

Can anyone help me decode them to see what the underlying problem is?
Or can anyone give me a tip on what else I can do to troubleshoot or get more clues about what is happening?

Thank you very much in advance.

--
--Brendon Martino