Hi all,

I'm an amanda newbie, so please bear with me.

I've installed amanda server 3.3.6 from the Ubuntu repo for 16.04 (i.e. patched
by the packager).  I backup some local directory hierarchies as well as remote
directories via SSH, currently exclusively to vtape.  This implies that the
amanda user account is the "backup" system account (unfortunately).

I've used "amserverconfig" to create a basic configuration; backups work well,
but I have difficulties regarding user permissions when using "amrecover"
locally.  amserverconfig has created the config with "root" as the dumpuser.  I
don't know whether this is related but the backup data files as well as the
tapelist file are created by owner "root".  Changing ownership of these files
to "backup" makes amrecover work as expected.  I've already tried to change
dumpuser to "backup" and run "amdump" as "backup" but this doesn't work because
of insufficient priviledges for reading files.

Could you please enlighten me how to configure things in a way that I can run
"amrecover" locally without changing file ownership? I wouldn't mind to run
most things as "root" as I've confined inetd to only serve the amanda server
socket on localhost, and I'm using SSH for everything else.

TIA,

aa

Please consider the environment before you print / Merci de penser à
l'environnement avant d'imprimer / Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor Sie
drucken Bombardier Transportation GmbH /Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender / Chairman of
Supervisory Board: Wolfgang Toelsner Geschäftsführung / Management Board:
Dieter John (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Dr. Susanne Kortendick, Dr. Daniel
Perlzweig Sitz der Gesellschaft / Principal Office: Berlin Registergericht /
Registration Court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 64838