On 08/12/16 03:56 AM, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
Jon LaBadie <j...@jgcomp.com> (Do 08 Dez 2016 06:05:17 CET):
I'm thinking of systems, like laptops, that are booted
irregularly and are unlikely to be running during the
normal backup time period.

You're looking for amdump_client, aren't you? (I never used it, but
according to the manual it *should* be what you're looking for.)

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

You are right.
amdump_client works by running 'amdump CONF HOST DISKNAME' on the server,which require the server to connect to the client.

In 3.4, there is an improved program: ambackup
This program works by sending the dump directly to the server, it doesn't need to connect to the client.
This program also works if the client is behind a VPN.

Jean-Louis