> On Feb 2, 2017, at 3:04 PM, Jon LaBadie <j...@jgcomp.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:45:37PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>> I added updates to my CentOS Amanda server that
>> changed the OS release from 7.2 to 7.3.  Amanda
>> version remained at 3.3.3.  Before update, all
>> clients including the server were working fine.
>>
>> After the update, all clients backed up fine
>> except the server itself.
>>
>> amcheck <config> -c <server> gives an error:
>>  tcpm_recv_token: Invalid size.
>>
>> The amcheck debug file ends with reading a string
>> from a socket and saying:
>>
>>  amcheck-clients: tcpm_recv_token: invalid size "Executing:
>> /usr/sbin/amandad \
>>                   -auth=bsdtcp amdump amdumpd\n"
>>  amcheck-clients: security_stream_seterr(0x7f6be589fac0, tcpm_recv_token: \
>>                   invalid size: "Executing: /usr/sbin/amandad \
>>                   -auth=bsdtcp amdump amdumpd\n")
>>
>> The amandad debug file contains these lines:
>>
>>  amandad: security_stream_seterr(0x7fcfccf15e00, write error to: \
>>           Bad file descriptor)
>>  amandad: security_seterror(handle=0x7fcfccf14f00, driver=0x7fcfcac0f7e0 \
>>           (BSDTCP) error=write error to: Bad file descriptor)
>>
>> The problem is neither firewall nor selinux
>> related as I've turned both off and still see
>> the same error.
>
> Just a short reiteration and addition of one piece.
>
> - Large update of amanda server CentOS 7.2 to 7.3  (900 packages)
> - Amanda went from 3.3.3-13 to 3.3.3-17
> - No amanda config changes
> - Server can backup all remote clients
> - Server can not backup itself
> - amcheck, amdump, amrecover all fail with same error:
>   tcpm_recv_token: invalid size "Executing: /usr/sbin/amandad -auth=bsdtcp
> amdump amdumpd\n"
>
> The new data piece, I downgraded to the previous amanda version,
> 3.3.3-13 and amcheck fails with the same error.  At this kind of
> rules out the newer amanda packages as the cause of the problem,
> I re-updated them to 3.3.3-17.
>
> So, if the amanda packages are not the problem and my amanda
> configuration has not changed, where do I look?
>
> Jon
> --
> Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
> 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)
> Reston, VA  20190              (703) 935-6720 (C)

Whatever the equivalent is for    /etc/xinetd.d/amanda
should be checked.   That’s a part of the amanda config which lives IN the
system area, and
may have gotten clobbered.

That’s where I have the following type data:
service amanda
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = operator
        group                   = root
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
        server_args             = -auth=bsdtcp amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
        groups                  = yes
}

in case that reminds you where that config lives on your OS.

Deb Baddorf