for days I get this on an amanda server (3.4.5):

$ amcheck config
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------

[..]

slot 1: volume 'config34'
Will write to volume 'config34' in slot 1.
ERROR: Device '/dev/nst0' is write protected
NOTE: storage 'config': retentions-tapes (5) <= runspercycle (5)
Server check took 0.127 seconds
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.487 seconds.  0 problems found.
(brought to you by Amanda 3.4.5)

and

$ mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x48 (SDLT220).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (5010000):
 WR_PROT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

I told the "operator" there to check for the write-protection on the
tape, I even disabled a tape to make them insert the next one. Without
success. A (warm) reboot of the server didn't change a thing.

I know, maybe the drive needs a complete reset via poweroff, I would
have to coordinate that as the server is remote from me. Update: we did
that right now without sucess.

Is there a way via "mt" to toggle that? Reading man pages I didn't find
that ...

For now I asked for *photos* of the tapes and drive ;-)

Thanks for pointers, Stefan