On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 07:55:31AM -0400, Jean-Louis Martineau
(jmartin...@carbonite.com) wrote:
> Jobst,
>
> Every good bug report should include the version of the software you are
> using.
> Which amanda version are you using? On amanda server an client?
>
> Also tell us more information, you just tell us 'no backup size line"' on
> nothing more.
> Which program or application are you using to do the backup?
> Post the relevant debug files.

Yes, I am aware of "providing more information" ....

I have been around long enough, wrote bug reports for a large number of
softwares I use,
helped the communities by adding/changing code for the variety of software so I
think
I am aware of whats required - well I should ;-).

Also, most of the time I fix things myself - as other users before me have
reported similar
issues and googling most of the times helps ... but this issue had a domino
effect of errors,
everytime I changed to fix one I received other errors - never had this before.

This one had me stumped - It actually started by moving the tape server to
another machine,
a task that should be relatively straight forward and would have been. When the
error
"[disk /, all estimate timed out]" showed up I thought it was due to the tape
move and
I made a mistake configuring the new solution ... but then I found it was due
to a
mounted partition that has lots of small (source) files (I develop software for
the company I work for).

But before I realized that I had a domini effect of other errors, as I was
trying to fix
this by upgrading/downgrading/clearing - making sure all config files are in
order etc.

I also saw when people had the problem "no backup line ..." the version really
did not
matter so I tried to debug "process_dumpline(line);" and trying to find the
regexp that
was causing it - maybe ... well by than everything was a real mess.

So what I have done two days ago: I started fresh meaning reset all tapes,
backups, index files, dump states. gnutar-lists - you name it everything. I
basically was doing a backup of all machines for the first time using a fresh
start.

So far it works - but I also went back to a 3.3.X version of amanda for ALL
machines (I do not have windows boxen to backup) and I always run the same
amanda version on all machines.

I am currently upgrading slowly to a higher number amanda ... keeping a
snapshot of all amanda dirs so I can go back to the previous working state.

Jobst

--
"XP: If you are nine years old you are just going to love it.  If you're a few
years older you'll resent the choking paternalistic atmosphere of vapid