On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 08:18:03PM +0000, Debra S Baddorf wrote:

> >> I haven’t tried this with vtapes, but with physical tapes,  I’ll just edit
> >> the tapelist file.
> >> I move the desired tape into the correct slot and edit the date field to
> >> be just after
> >> the previous line (so it fits, sequentially, with prior and subsequent
> >> lines).
> >>
> >> For blank tapes, which are at the end of the file,  I just move the line
> >> to the end of
> >> the file, so it uses this tape next.
> >> “amadmin <config>  tape”   will tell me the order it plans to use the next
> >> few tapes,
> >> so I can tell if I got it right.
> >>
> >> Note:  don’t change the line for a GOOD tape until just before you want it
> >> to be used.
> >> I’m not sure what these changes would do to amrestore  or amrecover
> >> processes.
> >>

> > I'm surprised at amanda's reordering the tapelist file
> > at several points.  But the leading '0' files, whether
> > "reuse" or "no-reuse" keep being moved to the bottom.
> >
> > I think I'm going to try setting the dates manually.
> > I'm concerned about the "tape header file",
> > 00000-<tape-label>.  It has a DATE last used field
> > which is "X", I guess "never used".  I wonder if that
> > must match the tapefile date field?
> >
> > Jon
>
> Well,  for overwriting the tape,  it has never mattered for me.  My tapelist
> edits (above)
> have worked.  Now,  for READING the tape and doing restores,  it may very
> well matter.
> But for re-using the tape, it has to re-write that record anyway, with the
> current date.
>
> Deb

Makes sense.  I just finished changing the "0's" to datestamps,
reordering the list, and in the header file replacing the "X"
with the matching tapelist time stamp.  There were about 50,
so I wrote a script for some of the work.

I've left them at "no-reuse" but in the desired order.
If they stay that way for a few days I'll remove the "no-".

Thanks,

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)