On Saturday 11 November 2017 01:49:25 Jon LaBadie wrote:

> Just a thought.  My amanda server has seven hard drives
> dedicated to saving amanda data.  Only 2 are typically
> used (holding and one vtape drive) during an amdump run.
> Even then, the usage is only for about 3 hours.
>
> So there is a lot of electricity and disk drive wear for
> inactive drives.
>
> Can todays drives be unmounted and powered down then
> when needed, powered up and mounted again?
>
> I'm not talking about system hibernation, the system
> and its other drives still need to be active.
>
> Back when 300GB was a big drive I had 2 of them in
> external USB housings.  They shut themselves down
> on inactivity.  When later accessed, there would
> be about 5-10 seconds delay while the drive spun
> up and things proceeded normally.
>
> That would be a fine arrangement now if it could
> be mimiced.
>
> Jon

Hi Jon and Gundy;

This might be nice, but is it balanced with the life of the drive when
it is only spun down from a power failure long enough to use up the UPS?
Or when powerdown maintenance is being done.

The drives in this box are all 5+ years old, and the drive I use for
vtapes is the oldest.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED
WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   119   099   006    Pre-fail  Always
-       210441924
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   100   100   000    Pre-fail  Always
-       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always
-       378
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always
-       25
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   082   060   030    Pre-fail  Always
-       179617636
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   023   023   000    Old_age   Always
-       68094
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always
-       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always
-       383
184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032   100   100   099    Old_age   Always
-       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
-       0
188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   099   000    Old_age   Always
-       4
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   001   001   000    Old_age   Always
-       395
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   061   057   045    Old_age   Always
-       39 (Min/Max 18/42)
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
-       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline
-       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
-       0
240 Head_Flying_Hours       0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline
-       68089 (30 52 0)
241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline
-       4258864840
242 Total_LBAs_Read         0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline
-       3825606395

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)
LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     59921         -
# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     54103         -
# 3  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     45529         -
# 4  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     43537         -
# 5  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     27211         -
# 6  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     27043         -
# 7  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     26875         -
# 8  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     26372         -
# 9  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     26205         -
#10  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     26037         -
#11  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     25869         -
#12  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     25701         -
#13  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     25534         -
#14  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     25368         -
#15  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     25201         -
#16  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     25033         -
#17  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     24866         -
#18  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     24697         -
#19  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     24530         -
#20  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     24362         -
#21  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     24194         -

Those 25 re-allocated sectors were there the first time I used
smartctl to inspect it at about 5000 spinning hours. Now at 68089
hours. Thats 7.76739676020990189 years of service. I am about
to replace it with a 2Tb, not because its failing, but because its
essentially full and occasionally rejects a big dump. That however
has seemed to reduce amanda's reticence to do a level 2, before,
despite some very loose settings, it refused to do a level 2,
and still insists on promoting most level 2 to level 0's.  And
the level 0 then is 5 or 6 days early in a 7 day cycle. And that makes
the imbalance between dump sizes worse, not better.

What I also consider as very very important when buying "commodity"
drives, is going to the drive makers site, getting that drives
latest firmware and installing it. When Newegg et all buys those
drives very early in the production cycle, they are often written
with buggy firmware that can slow the data rates considerably.
In one case, a drive that was doing 35 megabytes/second reads, and even
slower writes, is now doing 135 both ways after having its firmware
updated. Its not uncommon to gain 20 or 30 megs a second read/write
rates for any drive updated.

So I leave mine spinning. The head drag when landing and getting started is
I am convinced is the first major cause of drive failures. Remember that a
drives heads do not touch the disk but fly a few microns above on the
film of air carried by the spinning disk.

The other major contributor to drive failures is the bright red sata cables,
use any other color but that bright red, its vapors over time convert
the copper into dark brown dust that doesn't make a very good conductor
of electricity. Watch your logs, and when you see a drive reset, and a
flurry of them if you touch the cable, its history. And its data errors
can trash a perfectly good drive as it tries to cope with them.

Stop them if you must, but I think you will pay for it in seriously
shortened drive life.  How long, at 5 watts a drive saved, does it
take to gain back the $100 it cost? I haven't bothered to work that out.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)