Thanks Nathan... I have tried the command line without any -o options:

    |/usr/sbin/amvault  --latest-fulls --dest-storage "HP G2 Robot" vtl

Now the response is "FATAL amvault no 'tape-device' property specified"
which doesn't make sense to me, since the storage definition includes a
tapedev string.

    |/define changer "HP G2" {//
    //    tpchanger "chg-robot:/dev/LTOchanger"//
    //    property "tape-device" "0=tape:/dev/nst0"//
    //    property "use-slots" "1-7"//
    //    property "load-poll" "13s poll 5s"//
    //    device-property "LEOM" "TRUE" //
    //}/

    define storage "HP G2 Robot" {||
    ||    tapedev "HP G2"||
    ||    tapetype "LTO2"||
    ||    tapepool "$r"||
    ||    tpchanger "chg-robot:/dev/LTOchanger"||
    ||    labelstr "Vault-[1-7]"||
    ||    autolabel "Vault-%" any||
    ||}|

Nevertheless, if I manually specify a tapedev in the amvault command line

    |/usr/sbin/amvault -otapedev='HP G2' --latest-fulls --dest-storage
    "HP G2 Robot" vtl

/Now/ I see the robot cycling through tapes to no avail (progress?),
finally going through the cleaning slot, but... well here is the logfile:|

    |INFO amvault amvault pid 20654
    START amvault date 20171120102558
    STATS amvault hostname flamen
    INFO amvault vaulting
    DISK amvault flamen.romanus.ca /
    DISK amvault flamen.romanus.ca /home
    DISK amvault pomerium.romanus.ca /
    DISK amvault forum.romanus.ca /
    INFO taper Slot 5 is a device in error: Can't open tape device HP
    G2: No such file or directory, autolabel disabled
    INFO taper Slot 6 is a device in error: Can't open tape device HP
    G2: No such file or directory, autolabel disabled
    INFO taper Slot 7 is a device in error: Can't open tape device HP
    G2: No such file or directory, autolabel disabled
    INFO taper Slot 8 is a device in error: Can't open tape device HP
    G2: No such file or directory, autolabel disabled
    INFO taper error from mtx: Unloading drive 0 into Storage Element
    8...Cleaning Cartridge Installed and Ejected
    FATAL amvault error from mtx: Unloading drive 0 into Storage Element
    8...Cleaning Cartridge Installed and Ejected
    FINISH driver fake driver finish
    FINISH amvault date 20171120102558 time 226
    INFO amvault pid-done 20654
    FATAL amvault Taper::Scan did not quit at
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/amanda/perl/Amanda/Taper/Scan.pm line 347
    during global destruction.

Obvious oddities:

 1. "|device in error: Can't open tape device HP G2: No such file or
    directory"?|
 2. "|driver fake driver finish"?  |

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_vw5EcgO15lXzJwQVk3UXpkTUE