On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 07:14:54AM -0500, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2017-12-07 22:26, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > If I want amgtar to ignore certain messages, is it
> > sufficient to list the message on the amanda server
> > or must the ignored message also be listed in
> > amanda-client.conf?
> >
> > I've done it several times, only on the server, and
> > it seemed to work fine.  But I'm now trying to ignore
> > one message that appears on only one client and I'm
> > having no success.
> >
> > Do I need to set up an "application amgtar" stanza
> > on the client?
> >
> > Doesn't affect the question, but the problem is
> > caused by the "gnome virtual file system directory",
> > /home/user/.config/.gvfs.  This is a fuser mountpoint
> > not accessible by root.  So it generates a "can not
> > stat" error message from amgtar.
> >
> The better approach to this is to add that to the exclude file for that
> particular disk.  It's a well known path, so nothing else should be using
> it, and it's an area that shouldn't be dumped anyway, for a lot of the same
> reasons you shouldn't be dumping /sys or /dev/shm (and in fact, it isn't
> getting dumped, because amgtar can't see inside it).

Thought I had tried that and was still getting "Can not stat"
messages.  At the time I reasoned that amanda had to "stat"
the file before deciding to exclude it.  However, I recently
split /home from the root file system when I added a disk and
I was editing the wrong exclude file.

Before that realization I manually deleted the .gvfs directory
and that "cured" the problem.

The original question still stands though.  Is it sufficient
to list messages for amgtar to ignore on the server even though
the amgtar is running on the client?  Or must an ignore be
created on the client running the amgtar?

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)