On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 09:40:34AM -0400, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2018-03-23 08:25, hy...@lactose.homelinux.net wrote:
> > "Ryan, Lyle (US)" writes:
> >
> > > The server has an 11TB filesystem to store the backups in.  I should
> > > probably be fancier and split this up more, but not now.   So I've got my
> > > holding, state, and vtapes directories all in there.
> >
> > In this scenario, I would think there's no point to a "holding" disk.
> >
> > I use a holding disk because my actual backup disk is external-USB and
> > (comparatively) slow.  So I backup to a holding disk on my internal
> > SSD, releasing the client and the network as soon as possible, and then
> > copy the backup to the backup drive afterwards.  But in your case, I
> > don't see any benefit.
> There are two other benefits to having a holding disk:
>
> 1. It lets you run dumps in parallel.  Without a holding disk (or some
> somewhat complicated setup of the vtapes to allow parallel taping), you can
> only dump one DLE at a time because it dumps directly to tape.
>
> 2. It lets you defer taping until you have some minimum amount of data ready
> to be taped.  This may sound kind of useless when working with vtapes, but
> if the holding disk is on the same device as the final vtape library,
> deferring until the dumps are all done (or at least, almost all done) can
> help improve dumping performance, because the dump processes won't be
> competing with the taper process for disk bandwidth.
>>> End of included message <<<

3. If something happens to the data storage device(s), the holding
disk (HD) can continue to collect your backups.  My HD is big
enough to hold about 4 typical runs.  Should the storage outage
be protracted and HD space gets low, amanda switches to "degraded"
mode and only does incrementals.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)