On Wednesday 03 October 2018 03:48:18 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> Am 03.10.18 um 07:48 schrieb Gene Heskett:

> >> (Sorry, didn't see this particular message until after replying to
> >> the one you sent at 21:43...)
> >>
> >> The question is "does the 'staff' group really need write
> >> permissions on /usr/local/etc/ ?"
> >>
> >> Assuming not, the easy solution is to remove group-write permission
> >> from the directory.
> >>
> >> (If you actually do have non-root members of "staff" writing to
> >> that directory in your environment [or to /usr/local/, etc.], you
> >> may need to move the amanda-security.conf file to a different,
> >> amanda-specific path -- e.g. by tweaking your build script to pass
> >> --with-security-file to configure.)
> >>
> >>                                                    Nathan
> >
> > I had to back out to local, removing group perms, but once I did
> > that to local, makes it look like:
> > drw-r-Sr-x  15 root   staff   4096 Jun 28  2017 local
> >
> > the error messages changed to
> >
> > ERROR: coyote: selfcheck request failed: No defined tcp_port_range
> > in '/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf'
> > ERROR: shop: selfcheck request failed: No defined tcp_port_range
> > in '/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf'
> > ERROR: lathe: selfcheck request failed: No defined tcp_port_range
> > in '/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf'
> > ERROR: GO704: selfcheck request failed: No defined tcp_port_range
> > in '/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf'
> > ERROR: picnc: selfcheck request failed: No defined tcp_port_range
> > in '/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf'
> >
> > Which sounds just as serious.  Is there no end to this so-called
> > security fix?
>
> I have set in that file:
>
> tcp_port_range=512,1023

So do I but it ends at 1024.
So I used that one to overwrite a somewhat shorter version that was
already in /etc, so its now:
# /etc/amanda-security.conf                                #
#                                                          #
# See: man amanda-security.conf                            #
#                                                          #
# This file must be installed at /etc/amanda-security.conf #
#                                                          #
# It list all executables amanda can execute as root.      #
# This file must contains realpath to executable, with     #
# all symbolic links resolved.                             #
# You can use the 'realpath' command to find them.         #
#                                                          #
# It list program and a symbolic name for the program      #
# Followed by the realpath of the binary                   #
#                                                          #
# Uncomment and edit the following lines to let Amanda to  #
# use customized system commands.  If multiple PATH is     #
# necessary, please put them in different lines.           #
# e.g.:                                                    #
# amgtar:GNUTAR_PATH=/usr/bin/tar                          #
# amgtar:GNUTAR_PATH=/usr/bin/tar-1.28                     #
#                                                          #
# Only binary listed are allowed to be run as root.        #
#                                                          #
# You can find the configured binary with amgetconf        #
#     amgetconf build.gnutar_path                          #
#     amgetconf build.star_path                            #
#     amgetconf build.bsdtar_path                          #
#                                                          #
#runtar:gnutar_path=/bin/tar
#amgtar:gnutar_path=/bin/tar
#amstar:star_path=/usr/bin/star
#ambsdtar:bsdtar_path=/usr/bin/bsdtar

#restore_by_amanda_user=no
tcp_port_range=512,1024
udp_port_range=512,1024

But using your msgs syntax for that new line in my gh.cf file, it can't
find it.
./gh.cf: 25: ./gh.cf: --with-security-file=/etc/amanda-security.conf: not
found
 The added line:
        --with-security-file=/etc/amanda-security.conf
So thats  not right either.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)