On 2018-11-15 11:21, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 7:40 AM Austin S. Hemmelgarn <ahferro...@gmail.com <mailto:ahferro...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 2018-11-15 06:16, Gene Heskett wrote:
     > I ask because after last nights run it showed one huge and 3
    teeny level
     > 0's for the 4 new dle's.  So I just re-adjusted the locations of some
     > categories and broke the big one up into 2 pieces. "./[A-P]*"
     > and ./[Q-Z]*", so the next run will have 5 new dle's.
     >
     > But an estimate does not show the new names that results in. I've
    even
     > took the estimate assignment calcsize back out of the global
    dumptype,
     > which ack the manpage, forces the estimates to be derived from a
    dummy
     > run of tar, didn't help.
     >
     > Clues? Having this info from an estimate query might take a
    couple hours,
     > but it sure would be helpfull when redesigning ones dle's.

    I'm fairly certain you can't, because it specifically shows server-side
    estimates, which have no data to work from if there has never been a
    dump run for the DLE.

What would be the downside to having the amanda client execute ' du -s' or some such on the DLE and return the results when amcheck and friends realize there is no reliable size estimate? This would seem to be a much more accurate estimate than a non-existent server estimate.

My guess is that it's intentionally limited to server estimates to avoid putting load on the client systems. Both calcsize and client estimates require reading a nontrivial amount of data on the client side, and client estimates also involve a nontrivial amount of processing.

That said, it would be nice to be able to explicitly run any of the three types of estimate.