Hi Austin,

----- Original Message -----

I am using a holding disk, so this means that only the collection from the
client is serialized. This is good news, because I want to do all my collecting
before I spool anything from holding disk to vtape.

> Generically, set `autoflush no` in each configuration, and then run
> `amflush` for each configuration once all the dumps are done.

Perfect! That is exactly what I seek to accomplish!

> However, unless you've got an odd arrangement where every system
> saturates the network link while actually dumping and you are sharing a
> single link on the Amanda server for both dumping and taping, this
> actually probably won't do anything for your performance.  You can
> easily configure amanda to flush backups from each DLE as soon as they
> are done, and it will wait to exit until everything is actually flushed.

I have everything on the same LAN segment, which is only 10/100. I must be sure
that all my clients have reported before the next working day, but I can spool
from holding disk during working hours, if necessary. I'm guessing that my
network bandwidth is going to be my bottleneck, because I'm pretty sure that
any old desktop machine can individually saturate a 10/100 link. If I backup
more than one client at a time, I'm going to increase collisions and decrease
throughput. So, I can cut backup time in half, if I hold everything and spool
as the final step.

Thanks for the help, Austin.
--
Chris.