On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 17:02:57 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> Using the official debian packages, I am accustomed to CDing to the
> desired directory, and entering "amrecover DailySet1". I go through the
> process with no issue as to which tape device to use and get a good
> extraction.
>
> Using the git package, I have to specify the tape device like so:
>
> amrecover -d chg-disk:/var/amanda/vtapes -C DailySet1
>
> If I don't specify the device, I get:
>
> root@amanda:~/tmp/amanda/home# amrecover
[...]
> Extracting files using tape drive tape:/dev/YOUR-TAPE-DEVICE-HERE on host
> localhost.
> The following tapes are needed: DailySet1-001

amrecover seems to pull the initial value of the -d setting from
the "tapedev" setting in the amanda-client.conf file.

The official Debian Amanda packages do not install a "live"
version of that file (rather, they install only some copies under
/usr/share/doc/amanda-*/ )...

... but looking at the source repository it seems the Zmanda packages'
postinst scripts copy the example file to /etc/amanda/amanda-client.conf

If that's true (and especially if that file contains the line
  tapedev "tape:/dev/YOUR-TAPE-DEVICE-HERE"
), then I'm guessing that commenting out that line -- or even just
renaming the file to disable it completely [*] -- will allow amrecover
to work as expected....

[*] though if you rename it, presumably it would be auto-recreated on
package upgrade

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239