On Sunday 26 May 2019 07:58:30 pm Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

> On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 17:24:47 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 May 2019 12:08:37 pm Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
> >
> > So in order to keep it a little closer together, I used that exact
> > path in gh.cf, and a rebuild is in progress.  There is I believe a
>
> Just to make sure we're on the same page, please post here the actual
> version of the gh.cf you are using for your current build....
>
> > > (If I remember correctly the build-install cycle should create a
> > > new /etc/amanda-security.conf file for you.  If not I guess you'll
> > > find out as soon as you try amcheck, and then you can copy/move
> > > the existing one into /etc/ ....)
> >
> > Or /usr/local/etc, which is the convention for locally built stuffs.
>
> (Well, the point is you might have to copy it into the path you
> designated in --with-security-file= .... and given what Charles just
> discovered in his testing, it looks the install process will NOT put
> it there automatically, so you will need to copy the file into place
> if it isn't left over there from earlier.
>
> [See the threads from last October to review the discussion as to why
> /usr/local/etc is not suitable for the amanda-security.conf file on
> your particular server.])
>
> > Hummm, looks like the install script is now broken:
> > ERROR: program /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind: not executable
> > -rwsr-x--- 1 root disk   26840 May 26 17:05 ambind
> > -rwsr-x--- 1 root disk   56904 May 26 17:06 calcsize
> > -rwsr-x--- 1 root disk   41592 May 26 17:06 runtar
> >
> > thats an odd set of perms for the three of those. And the former
> > error bitching about the amanda-security.conf file has now been
> > replaced with: ERROR: picnc: selfcheck request failed:
> > amcheck-clients: error [exec /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind:
> > Permission denied] ERROR: shop: selfcheck request failed:
> > amcheck-clients: error [exec /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind:
> > Permission denied] ERROR: lathe: selfcheck request failed:
> > amcheck-clients: error [exec /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind:
> > Permission denied] ERROR: coyote: selfcheck request failed:
> > amcheck-clients: error [exec /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind:
> > Permission denied] ERROR: GO704: selfcheck request failed:
> > amcheck-clients: error [exec /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind:
> > Permission denied]
> >
> > So what permissions are those 3 files _supposed_ to have?
>
> (Actually, those look correct.)
>
> Earlier today (in a separate thread) you wrote:
> > Whereas I have user=amanda
> > and           group=backup
>
> ... which does not match (as far as the group) what you specified in
> your gh.cf script (at least in versions I have seen so far).
>

> What do
>   # grep amanda /etc/passwd /etc/group
> and
>   # grep backup /etc/passwd /etc/group
> show on that box?
I posted that already, but something may have changed, so

root@coyote:amanda$ grep amanda /etc/passwd
amanda:x:1001:1001:xxxxxxxx,0,,:/home/amanda:/bin/bash

root@coyote:amanda$ grep amanda /etc/group
mail:x:8:gene,amanda
amanda:x:1001:backup

root@coyote:amanda$ grep backup /etc/group
disk:x:6:gene,backup
backup:x:34:
amanda:x:1001:backup

root@coyote:amanda$ grep backup /etc/passwd
backup:x:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/bin/bash

>                                                       Nathan

>------ Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic
> region Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -
> http://www.ontko.com/ GPG Key:
> http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239 Key
> fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239

#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the"
        echo "user amanda, but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --prefix=/usr/local/ \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote \
        --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
        --enable-manpage-build  \
        --with-readline \
        --with-security-file=/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar
echo "sleeping for reading configures warnings"
echo "a make as amanda will continue after 75 seconds..."
sleep 75
make

And I see the group is wrong, shoulda been backup. I'll fix that
tomorrow. Disk is getting rather close to the iron and bypasses one
level of permissions lookup. It also probably screws with xinetd's mind
because it set for a different backup group.

I had that amanda-security.conf laying in 4 or so places, so I nuked them
all and reran a make install, and it actually put the fresh copy
in /u/l/e/a/amanda-security.conf, I moved it back one level and that
made amcheck happy about that.  Makefile funnies?

We are gradually getting there. Thanks Nathan.

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)